SSN Validation Services Answers
9. Can I get a new social security number?
A:d Under certain circumstances, the Social Security
Administration may assign you a new number. If you
can document that you're being disadvantaged because
someone misused your number, visit your local Social
Security Administration office to request a new number.
If you've done all you can to fix the problem and
someone is still using your number, they may give
you a new one. There is no guarantee, however, that
a new number will solve your problem.
A new number will NOT be assigned if you:
- intend to avoid the law or your legal responsibility;
- intend to avoid disclosing a poor credit or criminal
- filed for bankruptcy;
- have no proof that someone else misused your number
to cause the problem; or
- have lost your Social Security card or it was stolen,
but there is no evidence that your number is being misused
and you are being disadvantaged by that misuse.